Thursday 9 October 2008

It's National Poetry Day!

Yep, it's that special day again. And I thought I'd add my humble offering to the day's proceedings. This little poem has the distinction (if I may use the word) of having been read out on the wireless by Ms. Sandi Toksvig some time ago.

Here goes...

There was a young lady called Janet
Who used to support Queen's Park Rangers.
At a match in the rain
She caught a bad cold
And had a stiff neck for a fortnight.

I'd like to think that the late Sir John Betjeman would have been suitably amused. After all, I enjoyed all of his stuff; the least he could do (were he able) would be to return the compliment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, don't give up the day job...oh right, you already did!

Only jokin' you!
I actually quite liked it, and if it's good enough for Ms. Sandi Toksvig.....

Chris Hale said...

Cheers, Rob.

I find your words so encouraging that I might branch out into haiku or a sonnet or two...if you're really unlucky, I might even post them on this blog!

Stevyn Colgan said...

My favourites:

There was a young man from Dundee
Who was stung on the neck by a wasp
When they asked if it hurt
He said 'Not very much
It can do it again if it likes'.

or

There was a young lass from Japan
Whose limericks never would scan
When they asked why it was
She said 'It's because
I always have difficulty in deciding exactly what to put in the last line and ultimately end up using a lot of words when I should be using as few as I can'.

Chris Hale said...

Chortle chortle!

That's my quota of chortles used up this year.

Janet said...

Ok, ok - was it REALLY "Janet"????

Chris Hale said...

Yes. It's a curious fact (which I have just made up) that more women called Janet support QPR than any other football team.