Wednesday 3 September 2008

Hair today...

One of the drawbacks of being part of a disciplined organisation for three decades is the need to have, and maintain, a spanking short haircut. On the other hand, it might be a positive advantage. It means that your mode of coiffure is mapped out for you years hence, and you have a ready excuse not to indulge in the more extreme styles that might be momentarily fashionable. One less thing for you to worry about, or make a decision about.

Having now left said organisation, the pressing need for a haircut has faded somewhat into the background. I haven't had a trim for around three months, and the results are rather interesting. Davy Crockett's hat springs to mind; or possibly a fat Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen. I have deliberately chosen not to post a photograph at this point. I'm waiting for the rug to settle down a bit, and for the ends to stop flicking up like the model in some sixties knitting pattern.

I'm already discovering downsides to having longer hair. It takes longer to wash, and uses more shampoo, thereby contributing to global warming. It also tends to blow about in the wind and look rather untidy, and I haven't yet reached the stage of nicking my wife's hairspray. That is definitely a bridge too far. But by far the worst is how it looks first thing in the morning. Think Captain Mainwaring's wig inadvertently plugged into a 30,000 volt cable, or roadkill tabby cat. It just looks impossibly awful, but I shall persevere.

The goatee beard is also a little privet hedge-ish at the moment. I suspect I shall end up looking like the Witch Finder General. Oh well...

4 comments:

Stevyn Colgan said...

You're just showing off now because you're retired and still have hair.

Chris Hale said...

Right on both counts! But I come from a hirsute family. Grandad still had most of his hair when he died at ninety-odd, and dad still has all his.

What do you think? Bunches or pigtails?

Me said...

Oh to be retired! & to go - but at least I got the medals now!

Chris Hale said...

Hello me! Treasure those medals. You may need to pawn them if the pension fails to perform. Meanwhile, wear them proudly, polish them, and bore your family with tales of how you got them!